MADELINE LEWIS DESIGNS

MADELINE LEWIS DESIGNS

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Do you really need double envelopes?

I have a confession..............of all the brides that I have created invitations for, I have yet to order double envelopes. That is not to say that we do not talk about them at each consultation, just no one is interested.

With the popularity of pocket folds and petal folds (which doubles as envelopes), most brides leave the double envelope off the table. Furthermore, the economy plays a role. Many brides are cutting corners and the inner envelope goes.

With all that said............I know there are wedding etiquette professionals spinning their heads. I know, I know, I know, it is proper to have the double envelope. There I said it! So for all you "do it by the book" brides, the double envelope is a must.

There are a few situation where I recommend the double envelope.
  • If you have a great-grandmother that will give you an ear full if the envelope is left out, by all means get the inner and outer. In other words, if you have a guest list full of people that will notice the double envelope, then go for it. I'm a detail person, so it makes me happy when people appreciate the little things in life. I say go for it and make grandma happy.
  • If you are having an "adult only" wedding. This is the perfect way to dis invite the kiddos. On the outer envelope, you would address it to "Mr. and Mrs. Scott Smith" . On the inner, it would say "Scott and Stephanie". This lets the recipient know that only Scott and Stephanie are invited. If you wanted to invite everyone in the family, you would put on the inner envelope "Scott, Stephanie, Caleb, Maddie and Ellie Smith" or " The Smith Family". Now I know that everyone is invited except the 3rd cousin that has been sleeping on my couch for the last two weeks. This also works for "Scott and guest".

No comments:

Post a Comment