MADELINE LEWIS DESIGNS

MADELINE LEWIS DESIGNS

Monday, February 4, 2013

Monday Craft: Modge Podge Wrapped Easter Eggs

One of my favorite Martha Stewart Living Magazine Covers is the one with her Easter Tree on the front. 

I was in the cross stitch aisle at the craft store the other day and was struck by all the beautiful colors they have available.  I remembered those wrapped eggs from Martha Stewart and thought I would give it a whirl.  After a few eggs..I finally got the hang of it:)  

Here is her tutorial..she uses embroidery thread and Styrofoam eggs.  I used cross stitch floss and plastic eggs.

Here's what you need:
-plastic eggs
-cross stitch floss
-modge podge
-scissors



start with using a generous amount of modge podge on the top of the egg with a paint brush.  About a nickel size glob.
Lay the end of the cross stitch floss in the modge podge.  Let it get pretty saturated.  With the end of your paint brush start twirling until you get a good circle started. 

Start wrapping the floss around until you have a tight circle going.
Continue to add more modge podge as you go. 
Once your upper layers have started to set, brush a generous amount of the modge podge  on top of the floss.
Keep going until you get down to the seam of the egg (about half way). I used a bottle cap to hold it while it dried.
Once dried, start on the other side following the same steps. 
Keep going until your seams meet.  You may have to do a bit of overlapping, but the more I did, the better I got at them matching up perfectly.

I added some buttons on the bottom with hot glue so they can stand up on there own.

I love how they turned out! They are super fun to do!  





Have fun!  And as always...celebrate perfectly!

Stephanie



No comments:

Post a Comment