MADELINE LEWIS DESIGNS

MADELINE LEWIS DESIGNS

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Monday Craft: Playground Hanging Flower Balls

So, I changed "Friday Craft" to "Monday Craft" since it seemed I was having difficulty getting a craft done and posted during the busy week.  Hopefully, the weekend (not that they seem any less busy), but we'll give it a shot!

My sister just had a "down on the farm" baby shower for my little nephew due in December.  Afterward, I had an abundance of sunflowers that I used to decorate.  Since we have a few weeks left in fall, I thought I would try to use them for decor in my home.

I absolutely LOVE hanging flower balls, so I decided to try and create a sunflower hanging ball.
Off to the store I went to buy a Styrofoam ball.  It has been awhile since I have purchased any sort of Styrofoam ..so I was shocked when this is what I found.
Slight sticker shock!  Of course I was at Walmart, so no 40% off coupon.  I was looking for a cheap way to use up the sunflowers..and didn't want to spend more then $5.00.

Then I got an idea.......

How about a cheap vinyl playground ball??  Guess what!  It worked!

Here's what you need:



One playground ball (the kind you find in the big bins in the toy department)  This one is a 10", but you can go slightly bigger. I would also pick a color that matches the flowers to help camouflage.

Ribbon or twine for the hanger

Flowers

Hot glue and gun

Scissors


First, apply glue to the twine or ribbon and hold to create your hanger.  Add more glue on top of the twine to secure it to the ball.  Make sure you hold the glue gun about .5 inch from the ball and just "drop" the glue onto the string.  Touching the metal tip of the glue gun to the ball can cause it to deflate. 

UPDATE:  My twine did break off after the ball was hanging for a while, so I re-glued it and then glued a flower on top.  So far, so good.
 
Take the flower off the stem.  Depending on the flower you use, you may need to add a dab of glue to the petal layers to keep them all together.
Cut any excess stem off the base of the underlying flower
Add a dab of glue to the stem.  This will help hold the layers together.
Add a ring of glue to the underlying flower.
Stick the flower to the ball and hold there until it holds..about 15-30 sec.  Repeat with remaining flowers until the ball is covered.

IMPORTANT.  Apply to glue to the flower not the ball.  You can apply to glue to the ball, but you run the risk of touch the metal tip of the glue gun to the ball and if that happens, the ball will most likely deflate. 


You can also just stick them on top of a vase which makes for a super cute centerpiece!


I'm so impressed with how they turned out!  I don't think I'll ever use a Styrofoam ball again:)


As Always....Celebrate Perfectly!

Stephanie











No comments:

Post a Comment